Monday, July 6, 2015

Review: The League of Beastly Dreadfuls by Holly Grant

The League of Beastly Dreadfuls
by Holly Grant

from the publisher's site: 

Anastasia is a completely average almost-eleven-year-old. That is, UNTIL her parents die in a tragic vacuum-cleaner accident. UNTIL she’s rescued by two long-lost great-aunties. And UNTIL she’s taken to their delightful and, er, “authentic” Victorian home, St. Agony’s Asylum for the Criminally Insane. But something strange is going on at the asylum. Anastasia soon begins to suspect that her aunties are not who they say they are. So when she meets Ollie and Quentin, two mysterious brothers, the three join together to plot their great escape! 

my thoughts:

I just keep finding new middle grade series that I must follow, my dear lovely readers. This first book of the The League of Beastly Dreadfuls had me turning the pages because, like Anastasia, I had frightful premonitions of what was to come for her. If you enjoy or have readers who enjoy Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, this books has a very similar feel to it. Happily, there's a little less doom and gloom to be had here. 

 Mysteries abound throughout this story and I look forward to more in future books. Anastasia is a resourceful young girl who made the best of a most dreadful situation, and I am quite curious about what she will do in upcoming stories. I definitely recommend The League of Beastly Dreadfuls by Holly Grant to fans of books that are a little spooky and a little funny and that will absolutely have you reading on to find out what happens next. 

how I acquired this book:

I borrowed it from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment