Thursday, July 2, 2015

Review: The Mad Apprentice by Django Wexler

The Mad Apprentice
The Forbidden Library Volume II

from the author's site: 

When Alice's mysterious Uncle Geryon sends her to help capture a rogue apprentice--a boy who has the same ability Alice has to Read himself into stories--she knows to expect a wild and unpredictable trip. But even though Alice has visited the magical realms inside libraries before, this adventure is far more dangerous. Because Torment, the magic creature holding this library together, has gone mad.

But he might also have information about Alice's missing father.

my thoughts: 

Django Wexler did it again. I was sucked right back into the world of the Readers and went even deeper. The Mad Apprentice is even darker, scarier, and more action-back than The Forbidden Library. Alice is pushed to the very brink of her abilities and manages to learn some new tricks as she and several other young apprentices fight to survive the labyrinth. 

I really like the inclusion of the other apprentices in this story, as well as the return of Isaac. Through the other apprentices Alice learns about the other master Readers and the cruelty that they are capable of. Like in volume I, there are still some questions about who is and is not trustworthy, because when you are dealing with Readers everyone is looking out for their own interests. Alice does, however, receive some answers...and more questions. 

I am really excited for this series and now I'm sad that I actually have to wait for the next one (this is the problem with finding a series early on). I highly recommend this book for readers who love magic and adventure and who don't mind some darkness and death in their stories. 

how I acquired this book: 

I borrowed it from my public library.


No comments:

Post a Comment