Friday, June 26, 2015

Review: The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place Book 1: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood

The Mysterious Howling
The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place 
Book 1
by Maryrose Wood

from the publisher's site: 

Of especially naughty children, it is sometimes said: "They must have been raised by wolves." The Incorrigible children actually were.
Discovered in the forest of Ashton Place, the Incorrigibles are no ordinary children. Luckily, Miss Penelope Lumley is no ordinary governess. A proud graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, she must use all her skills to tame these clever canine children. Latin, poetry, and the use of globes will simply have to wait.
But mysteries abound at Ashton Place: Who are these three wild creatures? Why does Old Timothy, the coachman, lurk around every corner? Will Penelope be able to civilize the Incorrigibles in time for Lady Constance's holiday ball? And what on earth is that howling in the attic?

my thoughts: 

I listened to this book on audio and I am enthralled with this series. The narrator, Katherine Kellgren, is fabulous. I've already placed a hold for book 2 with the library. I found the writing style to be somewhat Lemony Snicket-esque, particularly with Wood's tendency to thrown in little asides that move away from the story a bit. The mystery of the Incorrigible children and their origins and just what may be going on at Ashton place is intriguing enough to keep anyone turning the pages. 

Wood does a great job of providing definitions and context for the more difficult vocabulary words. Some potentially frightening situations may skew this book toward the older end of the middle grade spectrum. Nevertheless, I found this book to be a fun romp and I cannot wait to read the rest of the series and learn more about the mysterious Incorrigible children.

how I acquired this book: 
I borrowed it from my local library. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment